The aim of Stage 7 Unit 4 is for children to:
• master alternative spellings for the long vowel sounds /ā /, /ē /, /ī/, /ō/, /oo/ and /yoo/, including split digraphs
• understand the role of e at the end of words
• master alternative spellings for the phonemes /s/, /j/, /n/, /k/, /m/, /r/
• apply knowledge of these new alternative graphemes to read new words fluently and spell new words with accuracy
• have an enriched vocabulary knowledge, including recognising and using homophones, synonyms and antonyms
• be able to identify base words and suffixes -s, -y, -ing, and -er.
• apply the following rules to spell using suffixes:
– no change to base word
– double the consonant
– drop the e.
Stage 7 Unit 4 covers 15 weeks of explicit teaching of reading, spelling, language structure with lesson plans and resources.
It features Let's spell, Let's write, Sound and write plus many more application activities focusing on vocabulary and language features.